Pontoon boats are the best sort of boats for large families or planning to get more passengers on board with you. But have you ever wondered how come the boat got its name “pontoon”?
I bet you must haven’t. So, let me tell you. In general terms, a pontoon boat is a flattish boat that sails over a hollow yet reliable structure called a pontoon through which it achieves the required buoyancy to float.
And this structure “pontoon” allows the designers to accommodate different amenities on the boat like a bar, lounge, etc.
It comes in several sizes, and it depends on the number of passengers it can carry without any issue. If you find it interesting till here, read on to know 21 interesting facts about these pontoon boats.
21 things to know about pontoon boats
Regarded as the best recreational watercraft suitable for engaging family boating sessions, here are the top 21 interesting facts about pontoon boats.
1. It’s the best buy for beginners.
It’s made for beginners so that they can enjoy boating without getting much into its details. Ideally speaking, the essential tips you can get over from videos or articles is enough for you to enjoy the pontoon boats.
2. They are easy to clean.
While buying any boat, it’s essential to know how much effort will it take to get cleaned.
To your surprise, pontoon boats are very easy to clean with the available resources like cloth, vacuum cleaner, or anything of this kind.
If the boat is smaller in size, a quick scrub followed by a water splash is enough. At the same time, you can use any machine to clean a bigger pontoon boat.
3. Perfect for families
If you’re a family person and takes the whole family for trips, you should get your hands over a pontoon boat without a spare thought.
A pontoon boat comes with all the required amenities like bathroom, bar, kitchen, lounge, etc., it’s ideal for family trips.
4. Tremendous storage capacity
Depending upon your pontoon boat’s size, it’s a fact that it’ll have a tremendous storage capacity compared to any other boat of the same size.
You can further increase the boat’s storage capacity if required by some cool modifications after brainstorming with designers.
5. They have slow speed.
If you’re carrying kids along with you, you would always prefer something safer to drive or sail. Pontoon boats suitably fulfill this criterion.
Due to their slow speed, they are the best option to go after, and the reliable build quality means there is nothing to worry about if you come across any midway obstacle.
6. Good for mid-water parties
While some plan their parties in mid-air, you should feel blessed to get a chance to replicate the same mid-water. How? Through a pontoon boat.
Yes, due to its tremendous storage, slow speed, cool structure, and all necessary amenities, you can plan and enjoy your parties mid-water on a pontoon boat.
However, make sure to keep the number of invitees in mind.
7. There are millions of accessories to deck up your pontoon boat.
There is an ample number of accessories to deck up your pontoon boat to enhance its functionality and appearance.
To start with, what about a barbecue griller?
Or a mini cocktail bar with stools? Or what about some green plants for some freshness and cool looks? Mark my words, the skies are the limit for adding accessories to a pontoon boat.
8. They are safe.
Yes, this is so far the best advantage of having a pontoon boat. Being surrounded by a hollow and unsinkable structure, rest assured of getting a safe ride no matter how many challenges you encounter.
Plus, since it sits mainly above the water, there are no chances of getting stuck here or there. Also, even if the boat is of a smaller size, you get the same safety level.
9. Are interchangeable with skiing boats
Yes, I know that skiing boats are not interchangeable, but you can get the same experience on a pontoon boat.
As a skiing boat is very costly, not many people have access to it. A pontoon boat can also come as an alternative for skiing boats.
10. Fishing? Yes!
If you think that you can enjoy fishing on a pontoon boat, you are wrong! Due to its quiet nature and slow speed, a pontoon boat gives a better option for fishing than any other boat.
11. Pontoon boats are cheaper.
If you are tight on budget and can not compromise the boating experience, you should go with a pontoon boat. It’s cheaper than the powerboats yet better when it comes to boating.
12. Affordable insurance
As pontoon boats are cheaper than powerboats, their insurance is much affordable. Hence, if anything happens to your pontoon boat, you need not worry about its repairing costs.
13. Easy to dock
Pontoon boats are easy to drive and, thus, easy to dock. Since such a boat’s dock is low profile, it’s easy to drive onto and launch. Still, you must practice the docking art form.
14. Longer lifespan
If taken care of, a pontoon boat’s lifespan is the best among the other boats in the market.
15. They are easy to park
Yes, parking a boat is a tricky affair if it’s a loaded one. But with pontoon boats, it’s never a problem to park them.
16. Higher resale value
Yes, the resale value of a used pontoon boat is much higher than the other boats in the same price bracket. So, if you’re selling your pontoon boat, rest assured of getting a better amount in your pocket.
17. Requires less maintenance
If you think that pontoon boats require less maintenance, remember that it’s only valid if the boat is hard and solid material like aluminum. If the boat is from wood, the maintenance cost will escalate.
18. Pontoon boats define luxury.
A pontoon boat clearly defines the true definition of luxury with its amenities. Be its twin engines, joystick steering, fencing, stunning lighting, lounges, bars, etc.; all are worth giving you a luxury feel.
19. They are noiseless.
It is another significant advantage of maneuvering a pontoon boat. The interior of such a boat always remains free from the engine noises and other sounds which anyone will feel awkward.
20. Pontoon boats have a good engine performance.
The engine of a pontoon boat delivers decent performance even after taking into account its horsepower and capacity.
21. Lastly, pontoon boats can withstand windy conditions.
Yes, if you love adventure and don’t mind entering into a troubled sea with lots of movements, you can go with a pontoon boat.
It can deal with harsh weather conditions and is easy to handle. Plus, their slow speed will assist you positively in this regard.
Pros and cons of getting pontoon boats
The following are the key pros and cons of getting pontoon boats.
- Pontoon boats are very easy to clean with the available resources like cloth, vacuum cleaner, or anything of this kind. If the boat is smaller in size, a quick scrub followed by a water splash is enough. At the same time, you can use any machine to clean a bigger pontoon boat.
- With kids along, you would always prefer a boat with slower speed for a safer drive. Pontoon boats suitably fulfill this criterion. Due to their slow speed, they are the best option to go after, and the reliable build quality means there is nothing to worry about if you come across any midway obstacle.
- If you’re a family person, you should get your hands over a pontoon boat without thinking much. A pontoon boat comes with all the required amenities like bathroom, bar, kitchen, lounge, etc., it’s ideal for family trips.
- Pontoon boats have a longer lifespan than other boats of the same size and price.
- The resale value of a used pontoon boat is much higher than the other boats in the same price bracket.
- Pontoon boats are not ideal for high-speed racing or such water sports.
- Pontoon boats are not suitable for water sports like water skiing or waterboarding. If you love these water sports, you should look for something other than a pontoon boat.
- Pontoon boats are not for rough seawater and high-waves.
- Sometimes, a pontoon boat may appear dull due to its simple design and structure.
What do I need to know before buying a new pontoon boat?
If you are thinking of buying a brand new pontoon boat, here’s your checklist.
- You should know the overall costing of the pontoon boat.
- See if the material is as per your needs.
- Check if the boat can carry your desired number of passengers.
- It’s vital to ensure that the pontoon boat your purchasing has all the amenities.
- Make sure to check the horsepower you are getting and the performance of the engine.
What do I need to know before buying a used pontoon boat?
- If you’re buying a used pontoon boat, it will require a much detailed inspection which should include:
- Check the hull of the boat for any dent, crack, rusting, etc. Due to collision, these will develop and reduce the strength of your pontoon boat.
- Check the signs of cracks, dents, or holes in the pontoon boat’s interiors and exteriors.
- Inspect the laminate for any unevenness.
- Look for any leakage or faulty oil pressure.
- Check the current status of flooring and how soon it will ask for work.
- Review the furniture and its condition.
These are some points you should keep in mind while buying a used pontoon boat.
Buying, renting, or lease: which one should you pick?
It depends upon your needs. If you can purchase a pontoon boat, you should go with it.
If it’s not under your budget, you should go with the other options. In a nutshell, out of these three options, the best option is buying.
So, that’s all you should know about your pontoon boat. Coming in several sizes, you can choose it by the number of passengers you wish to carry; you need not worry anymore.
Furthermore, a pontoon boat is one of its kind boat that can fulfill all your requirements and those of your family without burning a hole in your pocket.
Hence, you should go with a pontoon boat if the article proves beneficial to you in this regard.
- 1 21 things to know about pontoon boats
- 1.1 1. It’s the best buy for beginners.
- 1.2 2. They are easy to clean.
- 1.3 3. Perfect for families
- 1.4 4. Tremendous storage capacity
- 1.5 5. They have slow speed.
- 1.6 6. Good for mid-water parties
- 1.7 7. There are millions of accessories to deck up your pontoon boat.
- 1.8 8. They are safe.
- 1.9 9. Are interchangeable with skiing boats
- 1.10 10. Fishing? Yes!
- 1.11 11. Pontoon boats are cheaper.
- 1.12 12. Affordable insurance
- 1.13 13. Easy to dock
- 1.14 14. Longer lifespan
- 1.15 15. They are easy to park
- 1.16 16. Higher resale value
- 1.17 17. Requires less maintenance
- 1.18 18. Pontoon boats define luxury.
- 1.19 19. They are noiseless.
- 1.20 20. Pontoon boats have a good engine performance.
- 1.21 21. Lastly, pontoon boats can withstand windy conditions.
- 2 Pros and cons of getting pontoon boats
- 3 What do I need to know before buying a new pontoon boat?